June 7, 2012 § 1 Comment
Tuesday Rafe and I went strawberry picking with my dear friend Kristin and her daughter, Natalie. It is a bit late in the season, but we were still able to get a bunch that were perfect for eating within a day or two, and I froze the rest to make into smoothies. Rafe enjoyed running up and down in between the rows, not to mention getting his fill of tiny bite-sized strawberries! We’re hoping to go blueberry picking at the same location in the next month or so.
June 5, 2012 § Leave a comment
I can’t remember the last time I posted, but I know it was before the beach (where we had a lovely time, by the way). Things have been really crazy around here, and as much as I love keeping up with the blog, there have been seemingly a million other things that have had to take priority.
We have a contract on our house (we got it on the 10th day of being on the market!), but it is a bit shaky. The closing was originally scheduled for this Friday, however it looks like it will be moved back by one week, which is fine by me…I’ll take a breather from the packing, thank you! We plan to put the majority of our things in storage and move in with my parents for a month or two while we look for a home. Thankfully, my parents have a large house and there will be plenty of room for all of us. And, they have a treadmill in the basement, so I can easily run every day :) And feel more guilty if I don’t.
Here are some photos (I think all are instagrams) from the last few weeks:
One of the babies spilled a bag of Chex Mix. We let them have at it for a bit. (The lovely girl is cousin Julianna).
Reading by the pool during nap time most afternoons. It was the best.
Late anniversary dinner at a cute little restaurant.
Isn’t he handsome?
A plus to packing is Rafe has enjoyed playing with a bunch of new “toys.”
A climber, like his mama.
After I told him I was waiting for him to go down for his nap so I could get more packing done.
Hopefully it won’t be three weeks before you hear from us again :)
May 17, 2012 § 2 Comments
Yesterday was our fourth wedding anniversary! We’ve had our share of ups and downs for sure, but I’m still glad I married my Johnny, and I can honestly say I love him more deeply than the day I married him. I’m looking forward to year five being the best we’ve had so far :)
Here are some of my favorite photos from our beautiful wedding (in chronological order). We got married at Rhodes Hall in downtown Atlanta, and I still think it was the perfect venue for us. It’s been a while since we’ve been that way, and I’d love to drive by it when we visit Atlanta in July :)
May 14, 2012 § Leave a comment
I had written up a post on my Mother’s Day thoughts earlier this morning during Baby’s nap time, but my browser shut down right as I was about to post. Unfortunately, I don’t have time to rewrite it all, but I just wanted to share a few photos from yesterday and just say I love being a mama. It is a calling that I wouldn’t trade for the world, even though Baby has been sick since Wednesday and dealing with a cranky toddler is a challenge (I can’t imagine having more than one!).
Yesterday, I realized I still wouldn’t change a thing. I love Rafe, and I just want him to be happy and healthy and grow. He is such a sweetheart, and brings joy even when it’s 3:00 AM and he’s crying because he’s so congested he can’t sleep well. I love him when he tries to put my running shoes on my feet. I love him when he gives me hugs. He’s just the best, and we had a nice day yesterday, with big thanks to my Johnny.
May 8, 2012 § Leave a comment
We’ve all been seeing various “summer essentials” lists and articles around everywhere these days. We are heading to the beach in about a week and a half, so I’ve definitely had the Outer Banks on my mind! This list is not all-inclusive (no water bottles, towels, cute sandals, or adorable baby suits here today), but it’s pretty much what I like have with me on the beach.
1. Striped maxi dress. I am hesitant about wearing maxi dresses because I am so petite, but I think I have just decided that if it makes me look even shorter, I don’t care. They are comfortable, slimming, and fashionable…not to mention they make a stylish cover up!
2. Baggu bag. I’ve been drooling over these so much I really should just go ahead and buy one. They are made of ripstop nylon fabric, very durable and machine washable, not to mention fun and bright! Oh, and the bag folds into a cute little zippered pouch as well.
3. Beach read. If you haven’t ever had the pleasure of reading a Sophie Kinsella book, you really should! Her most popular reads are Confessions of a Shopaholic and The Undomestic Goddess. A favorite of mine is Can You Keep a Secret? I plan on reading the one on this list while on vacay.
4. Cheap shades. Cheap for a few reasons: 1. I’ll be at the beach, which means sand. My sunglasses always get scratched and gritty, and I’m okay with that when I know they weren’t too expensive. 2. With a 1-year-old, nothing is safe. Nothing. 3. With a 1-year-old, you forget things. I just don’t trust myself. And I think these shades from Target are cute and fun.
5. Honey lip balm. This is my all-time favorite lip balm. Every time we go to Williamsburg (which in my opinion isn’t often enough and in Johnny’s opinion it’s way too often) I pick up a few of these. They last forever and make your lips feel soft and protected for a substantial amount of time.
6. A good sunscreen – This article pretty much sums up what I’ve seen in my own research. I’ve been pretty overwhelmed reading all the reviews on the best sunscreens and whether the chemicals in sunscreens are harmful or not, etc. I’m still a bit undecided, but I personally have liked Neutrogena in the past. I have also been thinking of maybe trying California Baby (at least for Rafe if not myself as well) this year.
7. Arrojo Detangling Foam. I’ve always purchased cheap detanglers for the beach, but this year I asked my sister-in-law (who is an awesome stylist, by the way) what she recommends. She said this stuff, and you only need to use a little at a time. So it may be a bit more pricey, but I know it will last a while and will be money well-spent.
Do you have an item that you can’t do without on the beach? What are your favorite sunscreens?
May 7, 2012 § Leave a comment
We listed our house on Saturday! For those of you who know us, you know we’ve been working hard and have been looking forward to this milestone a long time. We love our little townhouse, and it was our first home together. But, we are moving closer to the city so we can be closer to our dear friends and our church.
We’ve already had two people come and look at our home in two days, which has been encouraging! The market is definitely swinging up around here, but we had some difficulty determining the price. The fact that people are interested tells us we aren’t too far off the mark.
I’ll keep you posted on how things go as information is relevant. In the meantime, have a lovely Monday :)
May 4, 2012 § Leave a comment
This week I came across a great Bacon and Egg Muffin recipe in this month’s issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine. It’s really yummy, and I’ll definitely keep this one around! Baby has had a muffin with fruit a few mornings this week, and I think he appreciates the deviation from oatmeal :) Here it is:
- 4 slices bacon, cut in thirds
- 5 eggs
Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil or butter, melted
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
Maple or cane syrup (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large skillet cook bacon just until it begins to crisp. Drain and reserve drippings. Return 2 tsp. drippings to skillet. For scrambled eggs, in a small bowl beat 3 of the eggs, 2 Tbsp. water, and a dash each of salt and pepper. Cook eggs in hot skillet over medium heat without stirring until eggs begin to set on bottom and around edges. With a large spatula, lift and fold for uncooked portion to flow underneath. Cook until set yet still moist. Transfer to bowl; set aside.
2. Brush twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with some of the remaining bacon drippings. Set muffin cups aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp. salt. In a separate bowl combine milk, oil, and remaining 2 eggs; stir into flour mixture. Fold in scrambled eggs and cheese. Spoon into muffin cups (cups will be full).
3. Place one bacon piece on each muffin. Bake 15 to 17 minutes, until light brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. To loosen muffins from pan, run a small metal spatula or table knife around edges of muffins; remove from pans. Serve warm with maple syrup.