My beach bag list
May 8, 2012 § Leave a comment
We’ve all been seeing various “summer essentials” lists and articles around everywhere these days. We are heading to the beach in about a week and a half, so I’ve definitely had the Outer Banks on my mind! This list is not all-inclusive (no water bottles, towels, cute sandals, or adorable baby suits here today), but it’s pretty much what I like have with me on the beach.
1. Striped maxi dress. I am hesitant about wearing maxi dresses because I am so petite, but I think I have just decided that if it makes me look even shorter, I don’t care. They are comfortable, slimming, and fashionable…not to mention they make a stylish cover up!
2. Baggu bag. I’ve been drooling over these so much I really should just go ahead and buy one. They are made of ripstop nylon fabric, very durable and machine washable, not to mention fun and bright! Oh, and the bag folds into a cute little zippered pouch as well.
3. Beach read. If you haven’t ever had the pleasure of reading a Sophie Kinsella book, you really should! Her most popular reads are Confessions of a Shopaholic and The Undomestic Goddess. A favorite of mine is Can You Keep a Secret? I plan on reading the one on this list while on vacay.
4. Cheap shades. Cheap for a few reasons: 1. I’ll be at the beach, which means sand. My sunglasses always get scratched and gritty, and I’m okay with that when I know they weren’t too expensive. 2. With a 1-year-old, nothing is safe. Nothing. 3. With a 1-year-old, you forget things. I just don’t trust myself. And I think these shades from Target are cute and fun.
5. Honey lip balm. This is my all-time favorite lip balm. Every time we go to Williamsburg (which in my opinion isn’t often enough and in Johnny’s opinion it’s way too often) I pick up a few of these. They last forever and make your lips feel soft and protected for a substantial amount of time.
6. A good sunscreen – This article pretty much sums up what I’ve seen in my own research. I’ve been pretty overwhelmed reading all the reviews on the best sunscreens and whether the chemicals in sunscreens are harmful or not, etc. I’m still a bit undecided, but I personally have liked Neutrogena in the past. I have also been thinking of maybe trying California Baby (at least for Rafe if not myself as well) this year.
7. Arrojo Detangling Foam. I’ve always purchased cheap detanglers for the beach, but this year I asked my sister-in-law (who is an awesome stylist, by the way) what she recommends. She said this stuff, and you only need to use a little at a time. So it may be a bit more pricey, but I know it will last a while and will be money well-spent.
Do you have an item that you can’t do without on the beach? What are your favorite sunscreens?